- Tobacco History
featuring the Tobacco Timeline Continually Updated.
- 1835: Sept. 5, 1835 issue of The Penny Magazine: Illustrations of Tobacco Smoking (05/29/97)
- 1850s-1956: Cigar Making in Detroit Detroit News Living History Project (05/28/97)
- 1948-1997: Why Scientists Believe that Smoking Causes Cancer A history of scientific discovery, from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch(05/27/97)
- 1964: History of the First Surgeon General's Report From the CDC. (05/24/97)
- 1964-1994: Surgeon General Report Timeline CDC (05/24/97)
- 1965-1997: A History of Tobacco Sports Sponsorship in England Deals Put Brand Names Before Armchair Audience Of Millions. Times of London (05/20/97)
- 1499-1791: Tobacco: The Noxious Weed that Built a Nation (05/14/97) Fairly thorough article on the country "founded on smoke." Jamestown, slavery, and the War of Independence covered. Washington Post
- "The discovery that tobacco could be successfully grown and profitably sold was the most momentous single fact in the first century of settlement on the Chesapeake Bay."
- 1822-Present: Durham: The Town Tobacco Built (03/10/97 ) Rich, full history with timeline, oral histories, special section on LIggett history, 18-site tobacco tour, more. Great job from the August 11, 1996 Raleigh News & Observer
- 04/09/97 Papierosy sa do Dupy
(Cigarettes are for the Behind, 1994)
Andrzej Pagowski's graphic critique of smoking was exhibited in "Polish Posters: Combat on Paper" at the Katonah (NY) Museum of Art.
- 03/02/97 A Sense of Humidor: Cigar Box Art by Jacob A. Voice
- Ancient Chinese Snuff Boxes A tad expensive.
- 05/22/97 The Serpent on the Staff: The Unhealthy Politics of the American Medical Association by Howard Wolinsky. This 1994 book has a chapter devoted to the depressing relationship between the AMA and the tobacco industry. You can order the book at Wolinsky's site.
- 05/06/97 "Night Rider" Review Robert Penn Warren's 1939 Novel of the turn-of-the-century "tobacco wars," when farmers burned each other's crops attempting to unite against Buck Duke's American Tobacco Co. You can order the $10.75 paperback here
- 03/24/97 "The Forest Guide to Smoking in London: Where to Light Up" (Quiller Press; $12.95)
- 02/02/97 Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use in Young Adulthood: The Impacts of New Freedoms and New Responsibilities Dr. Jerald G. Bachman, Katherine N. Wadsworth, Patrick M. O'Malley, Lloyd D. Johnston and John E. Schulenberg. (241 pp). Published by Lawrence Erlbaum Associates in Mahwah, N.J. Authors did study showing Young adults who used illegal drugs or alcohol as teen-agers tend to cut down or quit when confronted by the responsibilities of marriage and family. But divorce can drive them back to their old habits NY Times. Click on the following links to order the hardbound (c. $60) or softbound (c. $30) version from Amazon books.
- 01/23/97 Addictive Behaviour: Molecules to Mankind; Perspectives on the Nature of Addiction Edited by Adrian Bonner and James Waterhouse. 312 pp. New York, St. Martin's Press, 1996. $59.95.. Book Review in the NewEngland Journal of Medicine
- New York City Smoke Free Air Act Hearing, Sept. 26, 1994
- 6/15/96--This document was corrected to clarify that Healthy Buildings International does not retrofit ventilation systems, but merely provides consultation services. Such services, of course, would be in high demand if the nation decided to solve the smoking dilemna by requiring all public buildings to meet higher ventilation/filtration demands.
Go To: Tobacco BBS HomePage / Resources Page / Health Page / Documents Page / Culture Page / Activism Page
END OF DOCUMENT